Wednesday 26 August 2009

Andover man clocks up time on the plinth to call time on prostate cancer

An Andover man called time on prostate cancer as he stepped in to the limelight and braced the Trafalgar Square fourth plinth dressed as a giant blue clock, to raise awareness of the disease.



John Watts, 40, donned the Charity’s blue colours and wore the man-sized timepiece during his one hour of fame, to highlight the fact that one man dies every hour of prostate cancer in the UK.

Sadly, John lost his grandfather to prostate cancer in 1992 and has been determined to raise awareness of the disease ever since. Arthur Watts died aged 80 after living with prostate cancer for several years. Now John wants to make sure that other men know about the disease so that they can fight it early before ‘time catches up with them.’

John said: “I had a fantastic time up on the plinth and all of my family came down to London to cheer me on. It was my mothers birthday so I managed to throw a bouquet of flowers down to her. Before my grandfather was diagnosed with the disease, I’d never really heard of prostate cancer and I certainly didn’t know that it was the most common cancer in men in the UK. I decided to apply for a place on the plinth because it seemed like a fun idea at the time. I never actually expected to get a place on it but as soon as I did I knew I had to do something to honour him.”

Andover man clocks up time on the plinth to call time on prostate cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment