Sunday 8 January 2012

(UK) Manchester City legend Mike Summerbee

 I can't believe I had cancer
January 07, 2012

 Manchester CITY hero Mike Summerbee has spoken about his battle with prostate cancer.

 The 69-year-old was diagnosed after taking a routine test at a health event aimed at persuading other men to check themselves out.


 Now Summerbee, who has undergone surgery and is making an excellent recovery, has thanked his family, the club, and the doctors who helped save his life. The legendary winger had been an at open day at the Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle last summer when medics asked if he wanted to have a PSA test – a simple procedure that can detect prostate cancer. He agreed to show how easy it was and encourage other men to do the same. But the star, who had felt fit and healthy, was stunned when he got his results a week later, revealing there was potentially something wrong.

 After further tests and a biopsy, he was diagnosed with an aggressive but treatable form of prostate cancer. He underwent major surgery to remove the tumour in September and has since been told he is clear of the disease.

Summerbee said: “I’m the type of person that doesn’t like to bother the doctor at all. I’ve always been a fit person, touch wood, being a footballer. I went along to the health day to try to raise awareness of men’s health and I then had a bit of fun with the surgeons. I had my blood pressure checked and it was fine. We did a neck test for potential strokes and that came back clear too. I then had my blood tested - and they called me later to say I had a bit of a problem.

 “I thought there was nothing wrong with me - I never felt ill at all. When I got the news I had prostate cancer and it was aggressive, I was shocked but I didn’t panic. I had no symptoms at all.” Summerbee – one of the stars of the famous City team of the 1960s and 1970s – said his experience had made him value his family more than ever before.

 He said: “When you get something like this, you don't realise how much you need that support and how your wife or partner often has to carry so much of the burden.

 “I’m just glad to be here and I hope to raise awareness of prostate cancer - that‘s why I‘m speaking about it. Men need to go to the doctor’s and ask for the test because prostate cancer really is a hidden killer.” Consultant urologist Andrew Sinclair, from Manchester Urology, was one of the medics who treated Summerbee at the Alexandra - and also helped to organise the health day. He said: “Mike very kindly agreed to help us out and support the event, which was fantastic, but we never expected it would also help to save his life.

 “We found he had significant prostate cancer and it definitely needed to be discovered when it was. His operation was a success and his recovery has gone very well. If anyone is concerned about prostate cancer, they should see their GP to discuss further investigations.” Link to BBC article

No comments:

Post a Comment